Staying Sane & Self Care – Strategies during a Pandemic
Being quarantined during a global pandemic is something we never planned for. We are now, what, 9 months in? How are you staying sane and taking care of yourself? What are some accessible (ish) things that are bringing you joy during quarantine? We don’t want to just survive this; we want to thrive in it (where at all possible).
Here’s my list of self-care and favorite things to help thrive during quarantine:
1. Facebook Groups that are run well and are inspiring community & conversation & hope
- A view from my window (photographs from ALL AROUND THE WORLD – from people’s front porch). Fun & Fascinating – today I was in awe of a photo from a family that lives in Africa and has giraffes in their front yard!
- Omaha Food Lovers – For locals, this is an INCREDIBLE group of food lovers that are banding together right now to work to support and save our local restaurants. You’ll discover restaurants you never knew existed and be offered special deals for OFL members only!
- Serindipitydodah – I’ve raved about this group for years. Specifically for my fellow mommas that are raising LGBTQS+ children. We are working to create a better community & world for all LGBTQS+.
- NY Times Cooking Group – what are people cooking? How are people spending their time and crafting love and generosity for their communities around the world? I LOVE learning from home chefs from other countries.
2. Podcasts that are interesting and different
- The Daily – Beautiful story-telling approach to current events.
- A Splendid Table – a foodie/cook podcast. LOVE the host Francis Lamb
- LeVar Burton Reads – Reading Rainbow’s host reading books. He’s so calm and comforting. The short stories he reads and comments on….exactly what I need right now
- Armchair Expert – Dax Shepard is a fascinating interviewer and whether I am familiar with the guest or not, I always appreciate the vulnerability and personal stories.
- Brene Brown – enough said?
- Online Marketing Made Easy – Amy Portfield’s podcast has been a guiding resource for us as we start to learn the massive world of social media marketing.
- WTF with Marc Maron – Zack’s absolute favorite!
- Jasmine Starr – Girl boss GOALS
Reading, reading and more reading. I do love the time I have for reading!
Here’s some of my favorite titles I have devoured during this time:
- The Book of Longings, Sue Monk Kidd
- Tell Me More, Kelly Corrigan
- Untamed, Glennon Doyle
- The Extraordinary Life of Same Hell
- Such a Fun Age, Kily Reid
4. Apps on my phone:
- Day One – I’m becoming newly obsessed with journaling. I want to create a printed copy for our family to commemorate this quarantine.
- LinkedIn Learning – I am determined to push myself further in my dream to write a book. I’m spending time watching courses about writing.
- NYT Cooking – My favorite recipe app!!
- NY Times – What the hell is happening in the world?
- Zoom, WebEx, Marco Polo – all the ways to connect & see faces of those I love
I am enjoying the extra time at home while spending more time in my kitchen. I have been cooking & baking all the things! Here are some of my favorite recipes I discovered during quarantine!!
- This INSANE juicy, flavorful Cuban Pork! I have served it in a rice bowl, as a taco, on nachos, and put in enchiladas!
- I have put on 23 pounds during this quarantine! OMG! So, I have tried some easy ways to get my healthy eating back on track. Meal-prepping works well for me. Here’s a favorite – Sheet Pan Greek Chicken. Made this on a Sunday and then packaged up daily meals. This worked really well, but I only did it for 2 weeks and fell back into my old routine. How are you staying healthy?
- Chicken & Waffles – I have always wanted to learn to fry chicken, so why not take the time since I’m stuck at home anyway!!!! This recipe is genuinely perfection.
- Finally, I don’t want to be in the kitchen all day every day. I do need some variety!!! This is my go-to easy peasy, no mess chicken dish.
6. Binge Watching TV
I know many of us are doing this! And yes, we are too. We have a projector installed in on our basement patio so we are enjoying time outside with a documentary, cooking show, or news on in the background! We definitely feel like we are in our 40’s when we look at the list of television we like, haha.
- McMillion$ (Hulu)- an intriguing documentary about the 1980s & 1990’s McDonalds Monopoly game scandal. Fascinating.
- Succession (Hulu)
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime)
- Top Chef – Competition cooking shows are my jam!
- Big Brother – Strategy, relationships, drama!
7. This project!
The quarantine is what re-sparked my interest in writing/blogging. My kids are older now and don’t need me as much – and being stuck at home, I wanted to do something to challenge my mind. Researching content strategy, blogging, YouTube, all the things – really got me excited. Then, Zack got passionate as well and that is where It’s All Better Together started!
Are you exploring new passions during quarantine? How are you spending your time? Any things from this list that you are planning to try?